Foot and Ankle – Achilles Tendonitis
Achilles tendonitis occurs due to overuse of the Achilles tendon. Acute Achilles tendonitis can happen when an athlete suddenly increases his or her training. This type of tendonitis normally fades with rest, but can become chronic Achilles tendonitis if untreated. Chronic Achilles tendonitis can be caused by increased activity, lowered recovery time, new footwear, or weakened calf muscles.
- Pain behind the ankle increasing over time
- Pain at the beginning of exercise but disappearing slowly during the activity
- Achilles tendon is tender to touch
- Rest and apply ice to injury
- Anti-inflammatory medication if necessary
- Sports massage or ultrasound